The inaugural #MissAmericaServes day!

IMG_9395IMG_9431IMG_9449

Yesterday marked the inaugural Miss America Serves day and it was a complete success! This special day was launched by the Miss America Organization and is the first-ever Miss America national day of service presented by the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. 

70% of funds raised on April 18th benefit local Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and the remaining 30% to fund state scholarships.

As of this morning Team California raised $1,845!

I kicked off my Miss America Serves day one day early on Friday, April 17.

IMG_9390

I had the pleasure of spending Friday morning at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital, also known as Children’s Hospital Oakland, with children in their playroom. I met the most amazing children that have remarkable ambition and the most creative minds. IMG_9399I cannot wait to go back and join my new friends for more fun in the playroom! The most warming feeling in the world is seeing the pure joy on a child’s face. These are the moments that I cherish the most.

On Saturday, the official Miss America Serves Day, Miss Santa Clara’s Outstanding Teen, Miss Silicon Valley and I enjoyed our morning with the cool kids at Younglife Capernaum San Jose. It was fashion day at Younglife Capernaum and let me tell you, there was a ton of STYLE!

IMG_9439FullSizeRenderIMG_9424

We assisted in organizing buckets and buckets of donated clothing so the participants could see the tons of options to choose from. The members of Younglife Capernaum were able to choose as many pieces of clothing and accessories they desired, tried them on for a superstar photo shoot and then even got to take the goodies home with them! I met some of the most inspirational minds and even a future cartoonist! drawingOne of my new friends from Younglife, Matthew Rodriguez, shared his talent of art with me and drew me a special picture. I know that one day his dream will become reality and he will become a world famous cartoonist.

Later in the afternoon I headed back to the Children’s Hospital Oakland for a tour of the astounding facility. IMG_9452I am so appreciative that Rebecca of CMN took the time to give us such a knowledgable tour full of rich history and inspiring stories. It is truly incredible to see the hundreds of services the hospital can provide to its patients and the dedicated staff that make it all possible. The hospital was built in 1912 when two women went door to door and raised $12,000 to purchase an estate to transform it into a pediatric hospital. Today, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital serves about 250,000 children a year.

I also had the opportunity to donate the 24 tiaras Miss Santa Clara’s Outstanding Teen, Miss Silicon Valley, Miss Silicon Valley’s Outstanding Teen and I crafted for the children. IMG_9445I hope that they love our creations!

The first Miss America Serves day was a day full of fun, smiles, donations and most importantly SERVICE! I’m looking forward to next year!

Check out what my #MAOSisters were up to with the hashtag #MissAmericaServes

P.S. Today is the first day of Every Kid Healthy Week. I took the pledge and I hope you do too. Follow me on my social media sites to see what I am up to this week dedicated to celebrating youth health and wellness!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s